Artist Virgil Elliott is ranked a Living Master by the Art Renewal Center, and is the author of “Traditional Oil Painting – Advanced techniques and Concepts from the Renaissance to the Present,” currently published by Echo Point Books. In his experience, he has seven decades of drawing, six decades of painting, and 40 years of teaching art.
Elliott is widely recognized as a reliable source of information on oil painting materials past and present and is sought after as a speaker on that and other art-related subjects. He has been an active member of the ASTM International Subcommittee on Artists’ Paints and Materials since 1996. Virgil Elliott’s obsession with art, traditional oil painting, and the serious pursuit of it began at pre-school age shortly after World War Two.
He recently came out with a PaintTube.tv video workshop that teaches traditional oil painting techniques. (Learn about the “Virgil Elliott: Traditional Oil Painting” video/book combo set here)
9 Inspiring Quotes from Virgil Elliott on Traditional Oil Painting
- The human psyche includes many intrinsic qualities beyond the influence of passing fashion. Art that touches them will endure.
- Great art will not be created by the dilettante. Excellence in any endeavor will only be attained by those who simply will not accept anything less. The key is to be diligent and to persevere.
- Designing a painting is like orchestrating a symphony or a concerto.
- Whether you’re interested in portraits or not, you should do the human face (in order to become a better artist). If we’re well-trained we can change what we see and do whatever we have to do to make a better work of art.
- What learning to draw really is, is developing mental faculties. If we can consistently create compelling works of art, that’s so much better than creating one that stands out from the others we have done.
- Anything can be fixed; the artist is the boss of the picture. Anything you can make work is legitimate.
- Art is considered special because it represents quality. If we are masters of our technique, then we can make our ideas visible to other people.
- Even if it measures out right, it’s still wrong if it doesn’t look right.
- If you remove the belief that you can’t do it, you’ll find that you can.
Watch the video below to preview “Virgil Elliott: Traditional Oil Painting” >>>
Visit EricRhoads.com (Publisher of Realism Today) to learn about opportunities for artists and art collectors, including: Art Retreats – International Art Trips – Art Conventions – Art Workshops (in person and online, including Realism Live) – And More!