Still life painter Stephanie Birdsall, who is on the faculty of the upcoming virtual art conference Pastel Live, gives you an in-depth look into her fascinating journey to artistic success in this interview with Eric Rhoads.
Among many topics, Stephanie and Eric talk about her choice between music and art, her studies abroad, and tips for young artists seeking their next creative breakthrough.
Listen to the Plein Air Podcast: Episode 33 – Stephanie Birdsall On the Art of Practice >
We All Love Color: Stephanie’s Pastel Palette
In Stephanie’s art video workshop on how to paint a still life, you’ll discover her painting secrets:
- Why Stephanie has no formula for how she starts a painting (and how you can discover where you’re heading in your painting AFTER you begin)
- How to set up your scene to create a rhythm among the objects, as if they’re performing a choreographed dance
- The steps Stephanie takes to figure out why her painting might feel “off” (and what she does when she figures it out)
- Why it’s important to create a “happy marriage” of the objects in your painting, and how to make it happen
- The one book Stephanie considers her color “bible” and how she uses it to make sure her paintings always come out looking just right; and more